This qualification is the same as the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training but provides the opportunity to take all optional units in one of the following specialist pathways:
- Teaching English (ESOL)
- Teaching English (Literacy and ESOL)
- Teaching Mathematics (Numeracy)
- Teaching Disabled Learners.
You must have a minimum of 100 hours of practice; 50 of which must be in the chosen specialist area.
This qualification is suitable for individuals who:
- want to spend part of their course developing skills in teaching English (literacy and/or ESOL), mathematics (numeracy) or teaching disabled learners by taking all their optional credit in one specialist pathway;
- want the opportunity to explore underpinning theories, frameworks and research into effective teaching and learning in both their vocational area and a specialist pathway;
- are currently teaching and want to have their experience and practice accredited;
- are not currently teaching but can meet the minimum teaching practice requirement of 100 hours;
- are able to undertake a large qualification, lasting one to two years.
Welcome to Newcastle City Learning at Westgate College.
Your course tutor is Lee Turner
He can be contacted at Westgate on 0191-2986960 or by email to
You will find a range of useful documents and links on this site